So just weeks after our foray into Tennessee, Julie and I were flying to Manchester, England to visit two sets of friends, my childhood friend, Eve (who was/is like a sister to me), her husband Nigel and our Dutch friends, Jan and Carin on their 42 foot sailboat Helle 3, in Oban, Scotland.
Highlights of our trip included:
- Visiting the Anderton Boat Lift
- Seeing numerous English canals and narrow canal boats
- Driving the interesting roads of northern England and Scotland on the left side of the road
- Eating haggis as an appetizer
- Sailing to St. Kilda in the Outer Hebrides
- Being on the open ocean for the first time in our lives on a small boat and loving it
- Being on heel and not loving it
- Riding on a little bus with everyone speaking Gaelic
- Traveling on the Caledonian MacBrayne
- Staying our last night in York, England and realizing that this is the York in New York.
Besides the pictures here, follow the link for pictures of our entire trip. Sorry they are not yet all labeled, that will continue to be a work in progress.